Saturday, June 27, 2009

Audio Engineer Job Possibilities

Good morning everyone. That's right, this blog posts at 7 A.M. Where were you?

Anyhooter, I was recently asked by an aspiring audio engineer what the job market is like out there for our breed. I told him that I know it's extremely competitive. With the home recording growing increasingly popular as well as engineering schools and degrees popping up all over town, the supply of fresh, new engineers has risen. And at the same time, with more people doing home recordings, the demand for them to work at professional recording studios has fallen.

I then reassured him that it isn't hopeless and there are other avenues such as becoming an independent engineer, or working in many other areas of the audio arena.

And then I found an amazing article in Electronic Musician (EM) Magazine. In it they interviewed veteran engineer Dave Hampton. I'd go through all his credits, but you'll see them in the first paragraph of the article. What I can say is I've had the pleasure of speaking with this man on multiple occasions, and he knows this business as well as his favorite mic pre.

So for all you audio engineer enthusiasts, give this interview a read. It is a hopeful insight from a man who knows his ish. Enjoy!

CLICK ME FOR THE ARTICLE!

No comments: