Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Organization 101c: Technology is Your Friend

I know you have all been eagerly awaiting the last part of my organization series, and here you go. There are ENDLESS amounts of technological resources to help you get organized, and I will covering a mere few.


Cell Phones: Cell phones are one of the best ways to help you get organized. The options and possibilities are much greater if you have a smartphone, but even the most basic cell phone can help you.

  • Calendar: Every cell phone has a calendar option (even my parents cell phone, which has no texting capability and is the free phone they got when they signed up 3 years ago). When you schedule an appointment, or have to do something on a specific day, enter it into the calendar on your cell phone. Usually you have an option of setting a reminder for anywhere from days prior, to minutes prior. This is especially helpful if you are against getting a physical planner.
  • Alarms: Most cell phones also have an alarm. You can set this to remind you of things you need to do that day/calls you need to make that day.
  • Address Book: I don't think I need to explain this. Enter your contact name and phone number and your phone will keep them all in one place.

Smartphones: I am not going to lie - I LOVE MY SMARTPHONE!! There are so many ways it helps me get organized!

  • Email: I have email on my smart phone and I use it to remind myself of things. If there is something I see on TV or while I am out, or need to remember I email it to myself. Then when I check my email I am reminded and can put the item on the proper list or on my calendar.
  • Notepad: Smartphones have a notepad, where you can jot down notes electronically. I am big on physically writing things down and physically having a list, but for someone who would rather have everything in one place, the notepad on your smartphone is a great option. For those who don't want to type it out, or can't for some reason, many phones also have voice notes. This is like leaving yourself a little voice mail. I am a big fan of the voice notes feature when I am driving and can't type.
  • Task List: Yes - a list on my phone! It's lists for the technologically sound! I can set the importance of the task, when it is due, when I'd like to be reminded, and any notes I need within each task I create.
  • Address Book: On smartphones, an address book can keep all your information on someone in one place. On my smartphone I have the ability to add multiple phone numbers, addresses, email addresses, spouse name, assistant name, birthday, anniversary, etc.
  • Sync Feature: Most smartphones will sync to your computer. This helps sync up your email, calendar, tasks, notes, contacts, etc. This is especially helpful when you lose/break/drop your smartphone, if you have everything backed up, your life won't end up in chaos.
  • Applications: All smartphones have applications you can buy either from your provider, or the maker of the cell phone. There are countless applications to help you get organized, and they can help you with your budget, tasks, scheduling, etc. This is especially true of the iphone, which has an app for everything. (Please leave a comment with your favorite organization app for the iphone if you have one!)
Websites: I didn't even know how many websites there were to help you get organized until I googled "get organized". Here are a few:
  • Google: Google isn't just for looking up all sorts of information anymore. You can get directions through Google Maps, share and collaborate on documents on google docs, and share and create a calendar with Google Calendar. Just go to Google.com and click on "more" at the top of the page for list of the applications Google offers.
  • HassleMe: A website that nags you, consistently or at random, via email, text or IM. It's brilliant. Put in what you want to be reminded, or hassled about, and it'll do it! http://www.hassleme.co.uk/
  • Voo2Do: This is basically a virtual planner! Voo2Do is a time management site that is free, and can organize tasks by priority, due date, and time. http://www.voo2do.com/
  • webasyst.net: Just another site that can help you organize EVERYTHING in one place. www.webasyst.net/
  • Jott: Too busy to email, text, or write down? Call a number to leave your self a note, add something to your calendar, or even have a voicemail transcribed. http://www.jott.com/

So, as you can see, technology can be your friend in your quest to get organized. Hopefully, this Organization series has helped you in you work, life, or as an advocate in the RADAR program. I am off to create an account on Jott, my new favorite organizational tool!

No comments: