Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A musical Mother's Day in Solvang.

Smash and I also attended a race this weekend, but we didn't run nor did we walk in it. My siblings were the ones that participated in the Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon in Solvang. If you aren't familiar with it, Solvang is located in the glorious wine country. Therefore a perfect reason for the dispersed Creed family to gather, celebrate Mother's Day and drink good wine. There's a few of us that are athletically driven from time to time and our proud three got up, ran 13 miles as the sun rose, grabbed medals as they crossed the finish line and then walked straight into a wine tasting at the park. Talk about genius marketing, right?

During my exhausting day of cheering, cheersing and showering my niece and nephew with love, I managed to meet an artist named Carey Ott who was the entertainment during the wine tasting. He stood in a big white gazebo overlooking the small park armed with his acoustic guitar, microphone and sunglasses. In front of him sat people on blankets in the sun celebrating the fact that exercising and then immediately drinking wine is possible.

I gracefully invaded the gazebo when he had a break between songs and asked him if I could talk to him once his set was done. Twenty minutes later he found me at one of the picnic tables with my family, who promptly offered beer to him and his manager Gary. We sat down with them for at least 30 minutes and talked about general topics as opposed to specifically music and ArtiSans Label. Stories were told, people laughed out loud and there was even a discussion of the adorable city that is Solvang.

Neither of us had an agenda. It shouldn't be about an agenda and even I forget that sometimes. Get to know the people that you're working with, especially if it's a labor of love. I've put a lot of energy, money and tears into a few projects in my life and have been fantastically burned, so I'm hesitant to work with people. Just as with my actual life, I prefer to fly solo probably because of distrust issues...

But I digress.

I want you to get to know us because we want to know about you as people and as artists. Read our Artist Bill of Rights and then shoot me an e-mail at jencreed@artisanslabel.com. Or we could exchange business cards (inside joke if you happen to faithfully read my blog). If you do, thank you and spread the word.

Cheers!
Creed

No comments: