Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Shifting Gears and Changing Perspective


Happy Hump Day!!!

Until recently, I've been coaching gymnastics at a private little place in Venice Beach. I was a competitive gymnast when I was younger and decided to pick up some work being a positive example for the young , privileged and impressionable children.

Last Monday, I was in the lounge with one of the other coaches named Toby. The lounge is where the coaches hide out between classes to eat, couch and check out the latest happenings in everyone's lives. Toby is in a band called Inverse and has done a very good job of moving their visibility and fan base forward without a whole lot of guidance or other people to help him do all of the "busy" work. He's branched out for the moment and is working as a solo artist. Therefore, he's back at the beginning of releasing a new album and this one is completely on his terms. I saw Toby on Mondays and Fridays because our schedules collided, so we always discussed music because it was a common thread.

Since I started working at the gym, we've had discussions about labels, ArtiSans, studios, vendors, etc. He knows what he's talking about because he's already done it for Inverse. A lot of bands have been releasing their own albums and all of the fun stuff that comes along with it (i.e. merch, distribution, licensing, etc.). Therefore, they don't necessarily see the benefit in taking a look at ArtiSans because we're just offering them services that they've already been doing themselves. It basically comes down to a question of how much is your time worth.

Toby commented last week on the fact that I'm essentially in sales because I'm just trying to sell a product (ArtiSans) to people. I dislike that it came across that way because I'm not trying to sell anything to anyone. I've been lucky enough to have learned about the shift in the music industry and the different way of looking at things (changing my perspective). Knowledge continues to be shared with me by people who have been in music for over 20 years. It's not about selling anything to an artist. It's about educating them on the shift in music and helping them see past the traditional model to a place where they can keep complete artistic control as well as 100% of their royalties.

Very bottom line is that I dislike comparing my job to sales and I sincerely hope that it doesn't come off that way. If we can share our knowledge with you and help change some perspectives then we've succeeded and I hope that you see enough value in this new idea to share it with other musicians.

Come back next week for another random story in the life of Jen Creed that will be tied to music.

Cheers!
Creed

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"a competitive gymnast", no wonder you're a hottie...

Hugs from Vegas
Jeff C.

Unknown said...

Jen,
what ever the gear you're in,
you engage, roc and flow!
My 'hat' is off to you, all ways, and always...
more hugs from Vegas, baby!
Darlene Mea

Anonymous said...

Jen, I love the outfit. I never thought you were in sales but I like the new prespective and changing gears. Way to go!! Keep up the good work, one of these days everyone will say, WOW!!, Maria N

Toby said...

I do agree with your job being more along the lines of providing information than sales. There's a lot of people trying to scam unsigned musicians by leading them on with promises of a big break. You're helping tear down that myth and at the same time provide a helpful service that renders them obsolete. I support what you're doing!

P.S. that Toby guy sounds like an incredible guy

Anonymous said...

Shrug the guy off, little lady. He may be bitter or misinformed. You keep shining!