Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Opportunity Exists Everywhere!


This past weekend I put on my do-gooder walking shoes and participated in the 16th Annual EIF Revlon Run/Walk for Women. The Revlon Run/Walk is a 5k run/walk to raise money for Breast and Ovarian cancer research. I have walked this event to raise money since 2000 when the company I worked for had a team, and its something I love participating in.

Some years I walk alone, some years I manage to coerce people into walking with me. This year I arranged to meet up with my friend Taylor who had also registered for the walk. When I met up with her, I found out that she had registered to walk with a group, and the group was the WIN, Women's Industry Network, consisting of women in the Entertainment Industry.

Now I am not one to bring up business at inappropriate times, but walking with these women presented me with an extraordinary opportunity! Most of the women in the WIN group worked in film and music. I kicked myself internally for not having my business cards or any ArtiSans Marketing materials, even though I didn't even have a purse since I was there to do a 5k walk.

I mostly walked and chatted with Lori, who was a friend of Taylor's. We made small talk during the walk, and at about mile 2 she asked what I do for fun. I mentioned my band CONJOB, and she let me know that her boyfriend was in a band. I saw a golden opportunity find out a little more about her boyfriends band and to discuss ArtiSans.

First I asked general questions about the band, questions that would promote continued conversation rather than one word answers. I found out what type of music they played, and found out the band is female fronted and fairly new. I asked if they had any recordings yet and if they were planning to do an album or an EP. Lori wasn't really too sure about what the band wanted to accomplish or if they currently had plans to record or put out an album, however I was able to easily segue into a conversation about ArtiSans, and how we might be able to work with them.

I wished I had something to give her, I didn't even have a way to take her contact information or give her mine. I was quickly reminded about the importance of always having my business cards and marketing materials on me. I didn't expect to have an opportunity to find bands as I participated in this event, but I was presented with the perfect chance to bring a new artist to ArtiSans, and I wasn't prepared. Luckily, since Lori is a friend of a friend, I am able to get her information and finish up our discussion, and hopefully make a referral.

Saturday's lesson is: BE PREPARED! I have encountered artists at Starbucks, at the grocery store, out to dinner, on the subway (ok, that was in NY), even in the hospital...the point is, you never know when you'll have the opportunity to refer someone to ArtiSans Label.

Opportunity Exists Everywhere!

No comments: