Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Organization 101b: Making the Best Use of Your Time!


Last week I wrote part one of this series on getting organized, Organization 101a: Write it Down!. Today's blog is the second part of this three-part series, focusing on ways to make the best use of the time that you do have. I am positive that I am not alone in thinking that it seems like there is never enough time to get everything done! Some of these suggestions are things that I already do, and some I found while researching for this blog and I am implementing to help make better use of my time!

Get a Planner: I know, I suggested this last week, but it is very helpful when scheduling your time. It is especially necessary if you have a family and/or spouse, so that you can be sure that you do not forget any of your commitments. Each day/week you can see what it is you have scheduled and what tasks you need to accomplish. Then you can schedule your week so that have time allotted to complete all those tasks.

Don't Put it Off!: This is one suggestion I have begun to implement, and that I think everyone is guilty of. When you procrastinate, you add stress to your life because you are thinking about that 'to do' item that you are dreading and putting off. Procrastination makes the task seem much bigger and more difficult than it probably is. If you change your way of doing things, and take care of the dreaded task first, then everything else will seem simple in comparison.

Use Your 'Waiting' Time: Put the time that you have while waiting for appointments, in line, or in between meetings to good use! Have something to do/read with you to fill this time. I always have a magazine or something I need to read through with me so that I am occupied when I find myself just waiting around. This is especially helpful when waiting in line...rather than getting annoyed at how long it is taking or how slow the line is moving, I fill that time productively.

One exception to this rule is that you shouldn't use this time to make phone calls! You don't want to have the person you are meeting with, or the cashier (and the rest of the line) wait as you finish your phone call, and you don't want to put the person you are speaking to on hold to finish your transaction. There is a big difference in being productive with your time, and being rude.

Once and Only Once: When you are going through your papers, emails, and files, ONLY LOOK AT THEM ONCE! Read it, file it, forward it, schedule it or toss it. Don't put it back on the to-do pile, because you will only do the same thing later. Don't put it off and hope you'll get to it eventually, eventually will probably never come.

I have a pretty detailed filing system. This way I know where to go to find that paper/item when I need it. For bills, give each vendor its own folder, that way you know where to go for all your information and records when dealing with that Vendor. My email has a filing system as well. I create subject folders I can move email to if I want to save them, so that I can find them easily when I need them again.

For work, I make binders - its a system I found that worked for me when I worked in Event Production. For example, I made a binder for the RADAR Advocates that I manage for ArtiSans. I have a tab for each RADAR advocate which contains all their registration information. I take notes on that page, and add all correspondence (via Email) in their tabbed section. I also have a few tabs for general correspondences and my 'in-progress projects' for RADAR. This binder amazes everyone who sees it, and all it involved was a 3-hole punch, a 1-inch 3-ring binder, 2 sets of dividers and 5 minutes of my time. Now when I need to look up something, it is VERY easy to find. I can also add new advocates as we get them. (I suggest that the Advocates make a binder for the bands that they refer to the RADAR program. Have a tab for each band, and take notes when you follow up with the band.)

The "once and only once" rule will probably be your biggest time-saver in the end. Too much time is wasted each day searching for things, and the frustration that builds when you can't find something will add a lot of stress in your life.

Multitask: This might take a little more practice, since a lot of things need your full concentration. Most of my multitasking comes when I am on the phone (filing while talking to family, straightening up etc). Also, I like to do the stationary bicycle, treadmill or elliptical machine while watching TV, but this isn't an option for everyone.

Schedule FUN TIME! Everyone needs a break. Make sure you include some personal time for yourself to unwind and do something YOU like.

I hope that these suggestions help you to make the best use of your time! I'm really excited for next weeks blog Organization 101c: Technology is our Friend! because there are a LOT of ways that technology can help you to get organized and a lot of cool websites I have found that I can't wait to share with you. Until then - get back to work!

1 comment:

Bieber said...

I'm reading your blog while I'm waiting for the doctor!